Using the metaphor of a power grid, Eric Dewey lays out and synthesizes all the interdependent approaches and processes needed to be successful – including the key ones that he has tested over his long career that really work and ones that he’s invented in collaboration with his clients and is sharing with us for the first time.
Written in an inviting-to-read style, Eric speaks to each of us as a personal business development coach, working with us every step of the way. He knows how lawyers think, the pressures that face them, what motivates them to action, and how they learn.
Power Grids is more than just a how-to-build-your-network book. Dewey shares models to help you better understand industry structure, your practice’s competitive position, and how to align value with the client’s changing needs. He debunks certain outdated approaches that he knows are a waste of time and encourages us to envision practice- and situation-specific selling strategies rather than a one-size-fits-all sales approach. He urges us to learn the language of business, understand the context in which legal solutions must work, and become both a trusted advisor and an embedded partner to our clients.
You’ll also learn:
- How to plot your unique position in the marketplace so you can optimize a marketing strategy.
- What drives billing rate sensitivity and how to use these variables to earn higher fees.
- 26 unusual business activities to look for that can indicate legal issues and potential engagements.
- How to identify the best sales strategy for your practice area and how to adjust your strategy to each new selling situation.
- The three most important practice differentiation strategies and how to adjust them to better align with a company’s needs.
- The key business concepts and financial ratios to understand any organization’s business.
- Why change management skills are more important for lawyers than selling skills.
- The single most powerful question to ask that can unseat the incumbent provider.
Power Grids, Paperback
"Power Grids is phenomenal. Dewey expertly connects the dots between uniquely powerful tips and tricks that I know to be successful with compelling analysis and the "why" they work. For any lawyer, this book should be the foundation of a successful business - and client-development strategy. I'm envious. Power Grids is the book I wish I had written."
- Patrick Fuller, Vice President and General Manager, ALM Intelligence
“Power Grids is excellent – no, it’s fantastically great! Eric Dewey pulls together all the useful approaches to business development – separating the wheat from the chaff – and packaging it in an easily digestible form. If you could only read one book that provides all the tools needed to gain new clients, develop new business, and be the first person called when a client needs help, Power Grids is it. In the field of law firm business development, Eric Dewey is one of the geniuses.”
- Bruce Heintz, Heintz Consulting LLC, Strategic Advisor to 30 of the Top 100 U.S. Law Firms
"Eric Dewey transforms your network from a well-worn afterthought into far more powerful network - a nimble, always useful, and constantly re-generating "power grid".
- Steven H. Shapiro, Corporate Practice Group Leader, Duggan Bertsch, LLC
“This book delivers on its promise of how to build powerful networks! If you value prescriptive guidance for building your professional practice, you definitely need to read this book! The analytical quality of Eric Dewey's work makes this a serious book on how to build and develop your personal network of powerful connections.”
- Patrick J. McKenna, Advisor to premier global law firms and author of Industry Specialization: Making Competitors Irrelevant
“Eric Dewey's Power Grids is chock full of thought-provoking counsel and helpful guidance. Just what you'd expect from him!”
- Linda Hazelton, Linda Hazelton Consulting